Skillful. Precise. Dedicated.
EDWARD J. VALDESPINO
Insurance Litigation and Appeals
Gig Economy Insurance
Ed Valdespino advises clients on complex insurance coverage issues across a spectrum of products, frequently handling disputes involving California’s gig economy insurance. He also represents carriers against first party bad faith claims and insureds against third party liability claims.
Ed successfully represented a national insurance company in numerous state and federal court actions to rescind over $20 million in fraudulently obtained life insurance policies.
He also obtained a favorable settlement in a state court action for a national insurance company alleged to have committed securities fraud and civil RICO violations in connection with the Bernie Madoff and Allen Stanford ponzi schemes through the sale of variable annuities.
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
- University of Texas School of Law
J.D., with honors, 2010
Articles and Notes Editor, Texas International Law Journal
Fellow, Rapoport Center for Human Rights
Member, Chicano/Hispanic Law Students Association
- University of Texas at Austin
- State Bars of California and Texas
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Panelist, The National Association of Minority & Women Owned Law Firms (“NAMWOLF”) Business Meeting in San Diego, “Shifting Risk: How to Draft Effective Insurance and Indemnification Provisions in Commercial Contracts” (February 2018)
- Shifting Viewpoints: The Foreign Trade Antitrust Improvement Act, A Substantive or Jurisdictional Approach, Texas International Law Journal Vol. 45 No.2, 457 (2009)
- Panelist, Western States Auto Theft Investigators Association, Southern Chapter, 47th Annual Training Seminar in San Diego, “Joining Forces: Collaboration Among Law Enforcement, the Insurance Industry, and Outside Counsel” (October 2019)
- Scottsdale Ins. Co. v. Dickstein Shapiro LLP, 389 F. Supp. 3d 794, (C.D. Cal. 2019)
- Zurich Am. Ins. Co. v. First Mercury Ins. Co., No. 17-CV-06638-JSW, 2018 WL 1175083 (N.D. Cal. Mar. 5, 2018)
- First Mercury Ins. Co. v. Great Divide Ins. Co., 241 F. Supp. 3d 1028 (N.D. Cal. 2017)
- Joseph v. Kaye, 2016 WL 3777142 (C.D. Cal. July 7, 2016) (aff’d 9th Cir. May 31, 2017)
- First Mercury Ins. Co. v. Great Divide Ins. Co., 203 F. Supp. 3d 1043 (N.D. Cal. 2016)
- Murphy v. Am. General Life Ins. Co., 74 F. Supp. 3d 1267 (C.D. Cal. 2015); Murphy v. Am. General Life Ins. Co., 2015 WL 4379834 (C.D. Cal. July 15, 2015)
Copyright 2020, TittmannWeix All Rights Reserved