Skillful. Precise. Dedicated.
LOUISA G. WEIX
First Party Cyber Claims
Third Party and Regulatory Claims
Intellectual Property Claims
Louisa Weix is responsible for managing the TittmannWeix monitoring and counseling practice across an array of policy types, but with a special focus on cyber, technology, media, and professional liability claims.
Louisa has monitored thousands of claims ranging from potential disputes to significant litigations in the United States, Canada, Europe, and India. She frequently advises insurers on significant, high-profile claims and on their most complex and significant coverage issues. Her strong technical background, ten years of intellectual property litigation experience, and significant complex claims coverage knowledge allows her to effectively and efficiently advise on a wide variety of issues across policy lines.
Louisa’s cyber claims practice includes all aspects of cyber claims including first party incidents involving business interruption, data loss, ransomware, malware, phishing, and funds transfer fraud and third party claims including regulatory proceedings and class actions.
Louisa actively tracks legal developments relating to privacy, data use, and technology including the use and collection of biometric data. She supports clients by providing training and presentations on claim trends, technology and intellectual property topics, coverage considerations, and claim handling best practices.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND RECOGNITIONS
- Chambers & Partners USA, Recognized Practitioner, Insurance Law (Insurer), 2022
- Executive Committee Member, Insurance Section of the San Francisco Bar Associate
- Member of Professional Liability Underwriting Society; International Association of Privacy Professionals; and the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- United States Women’s Rugby Team 1993-1996, 1996 World Cup Team, US National Championship Teams 1992-1994 and 1996, and UK National Cup Team 1995
- Supporter, Council for Economic Education
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
- University of San Francisco, J.D. magna cum laude 1996
- Reed College, B.A. Chemistry 1986
- State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, United States District Courts
for the Northern, Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- Registered Patent Attorney
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Featured, ‘Greenwashing’ Claims Likely To Kick-Start Coverage Battles, Law360 (March 2022)
- Featured, Pandemic, Cyberattacks Fuel Demand For Insurance Attys, Law360 (September 2021)
- Featured, How Some Boutiques Are Avoiding BigLaw’s Virus Cuts, Law360 (April 2020)
- Selected as Instructor, 2020 Cyber, Management, and Professional Liability Conference (July 2020)
- Presenter, Insurance Coverage Issues Presented by the Opioid Epidemic, DRI (October 2019)
- Presenter, The Rights and Obligations of Insurers and Policyholders, BASF (September 2018)
- BP Chemicals Limited v. Jiangsu Sopo Corp., 429 F.Supp.2d 1179 (E.D.Mo. 2006) (rejecting contention that Lanham Act, in conjunction with the Paris Convention, creates a cause of action for misappropriation of trade secrets).
- Media Tech v. Upper Deck, 2008 WL 6023808 (C.D.Cal. 2008); affirmed 596 F.3d 1334 (Fed. Cir. 2010) (finding all asserted patent claims invalid).
Copyright 2020, TittmannWeix All Rights Reserved