Skillful. Precise. Dedicated.
MATTHEW J. BRICKER
Privacy and Wrongful Collection Claims
Technology and Media Claims
First and Third Party Cyber Claims
Matthew Bricker is a partner and founding member of TW who advises insurance companies in connection with Privacy, Tech E&O, Cyber, and Media claims. He is frequently instructed on the most difficult claims with novel coverage issues and focuses his practice on helping insurers respond to emerging privacy trends. He is the chair of TW’s privacy and wrongful collection insurance practice which focuses on claims under privacy statutes such as BIPA, CIPA, the GDPR, and website tracking claims under state and federal law.
In addition to privacy, Matthew advises on Tech E&O claims including Tech Product and Tech Services claims and has advised on a multitude of other Technology claims including competitor and vendor disputes, consumer class actions, and credit card related claims. Matthew also advises on Cyber claims including first party incidents and ransom demands, and Media and website content claims such as defamation and IP. He uses his background in complex litigation to advise insurance companies and coordinate with insureds to resolve claims.
Matthew has worked on insurance and reinsurance his whole career. He began his career at the New York office of the international law firm Simpson Thacher where he represented insurance companies in insurance and reinsurance disputes. Matthew also has significant experience with complex commercial, securities, class action, and contract dispute litigation. Prior to joining TW as a founding member, he represented insurers on cyber, media, and technology claims while at the Benson Firm. At TW, Matthew focuses on team building and enjoys mentoring younger associates.
Matthew is a member of the Law360 Specialty Lines Editorial Board and CLM Cyber, Management & Professional Liability Community. He also is a frequent contributor to Law360 and Bloomberg.
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
- University of Texas School of Law
J.D. 2014; Order of the Coif; Texas Law Review, Associate Editor
- New York University
B.A. 2009, magna cum laude
- State Bars of Texas and New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern, and Northern Districts
of New York
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
• Featured, 9th Circ.’s Willful Acts Ruling Leaves Defense Question Open, by Shane Dilworth, Law360 (Match 15, 2023)
• Featured, Policy Misrepresentation Row May Affect Texas Underwriting, by Hope Patti, Law360 (March 3, 2023)
• Featured, Policyholders Can Learn From 9th Circ. Willful Acts Ruling, by Shane Dilworth, Law360 (February 17, 2023)
• Featured, General Liability Insurance Cases to Watch in 2023, by Shane Dilworth, Law360 (January 2, 2023)
• Featured, Top General Liability Insurance Rulings of 2022, by Shane Dilworth, Law360 (January 2, 2023)
• Featured, Amber Heard Faces Fight With Insurer Over Defamation Case, by Shawn Rice, Law360 (July 10, 2022)
• Featured, Insurers Add Biometric Exclusions as Privacy Lawsuits Pile Up, by Daphne Zhang, Bloomberg Law (June 30, 2022)
• Featured, General Liability Cases to Watch in the 2nd half of 2022, by Hope Patti, Law360 (June 27, 2022)
Copyright 2020, TittmannWeix All Rights Reserved