Skillful. Precise. Dedicated.
ROBERT D. WHITNEY
Insurance Litigation and Appeals
First and Third Party Cyber Claims
Robert Whitney advises clients on complex and novel insurance coverage issues in North Carolina, California, and throughout the country. Robert has experience with various insurance products, including commercial general liability, commercial property and vehicle, first and third party cyber, professional errors and omissions, marine, and life policies. He advises and represents insurance carriers in first- and third-party coverage disputes and investigations, multi-million dollar complex coverage litigation, bad-faith litigation, business tort claims, and other commercial disputes. Robert also advises and counsels employers in drafting and revising company policies and employee handbooks and in responding to requests under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other employment laws.
Robert led a successful investigation and rescission of a fraudulently acquired marine policy and defeated a $250,000 claim at summary judgment.
Robert successfully defended a lawsuit that sought to collect a $10 million default asbestos exposure default judgment against insurance carriers and achieved a favorable settlement.
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
- Duke University School of Law
Cum Laude, 2013; Duke Forum for Law and Social Change
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bachelor of Science
Carolina Parliamentary Debate Associate, University of Melbourne—
Summer Study Abroad
Business in Emerging Markets Immersion Program—South Africa
- State Bars of North Carolina and California
- Author, “Testing the Waters: The UK High Court of Justice Found Business-Interruption Coverage Applies to Covid-19-Related Losses. Will the Ripples Be Felt in the US?,” CLM Magazine, November 2020
- “The Purpose, Process, and Protection of a Post-Accident Root Cause Analysis,” DRI For The Defense, July 2019
- Valentine v. Am. Gen. Life Ins. Co. of Delaware, No. CV171194FMORAOX,
2018 WL 6329772 (C.D. Cal. Nov. 21, 2018)
- Atnip v. Am. Gen. Life Ins. Co., No. SACV 14-1462-JLS, 2015 WL 542770,
at *1 (C.D. Cal. Jan. 27, 2015)
- Brambila v. Wozencraft Ins. Agency, Inc., No. BC563590, 2015 WL 12130490,
at *1 (Cal. Super. Mar. 01, 2015)
Copyright 2020, TittmannWeix All Rights Reserved